Calling all Massachusetts residents! A bill was just introduced in the MA state legislature that would allow cities and towns to lower the local voting age to 16 or 17 if the local government wishes to do so! Currently, cities and towns that wish to lower the local voting age need to get specific approval from the state legislature through an arduous process known as the “home rule petition” process. The EMPOWER Act does away with this barrier and gives local governments the option to make and implement the decision to lower the local voting age to 16 if they wish to do so.
Between now and Feb. 1, which is the deadline for Representatives to co-sponsor legislation, we will be working hard to ask our Representatives and Senators to co-sponsor this bill. We invite you to join us.
Here are a few ways you can get involved:
- RSVP to the first Lobby Day on Thursday, January 24 at the Massachusetts State House.
- Urge your State Representatives to co-sponsor the bill before the Feb. 1 deadline.
- Step 1: Find who your Representative is. Look it up here.
- Step 2: Call their office. You can use this script.
- Step 3: Send a follow-up email. You can use this template.
- Optional step: Tweet at your rep to thank them for their time and encourage them to follow through and co-sponsor!
- Optional (but encouraged) step: Take 30 seconds to fill out this form to help us track the outreach that is being done.
- Follow the movement @Vote16MA and @Vote16USA on Twitter
- Join the conversation and add your thoughts by using the hashtag #EMPOWERACT and #MApoli
- Show your support by adding your name to the petition.
We hope you can join us in advocating for the EMPOWER Act! Reach out to Brandon with any questions: email@example.com.